Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Patent Leather Handbags


Hi!

Some concerns regarding Patent leather handbags have come my way via your emails.

Patent leather is a very shiny leather that has been pigmented and then has several coats of thick oily varnish applied to it which gives it its high shine.


The stickiness that may occur with patent leather, is due to the oils migrating through to the surface. It is not advisable to try any products on this type of leather.


How we look after this issue professionally:

We seal the leather with special glossy top coats trapping the oils. This is usually enough to eliminate the stickiness.


The other problem we are hearing about regarding Patent Leather handbags is the dye transfer issue on the light colored bags. This is not something we have been able to remedy as of yet.


  • The best way to avoid this, is to keep the bag away from extreme heat, which causes the surface to be more susceptable to absorbing dye from clothes it comes into contact with.

  • Always try to keep your bag off of any garments that are black or blue (such as blue jeans) or red, as these are the colors that transfer the most often.

We will continuing to investigate ways to correct and/or prevent patent leather from these problems...I will keep you posted as to our breakthroughs!!


Barbara


1 comment:

JC said...

Hi Barbara - I love your blog! I am one of many, I'm sure, who made a huge mistake with a white patent bag. I moved from Miami to Jacksonville in May, and my bag got carelessly packed without it's dust cover. :( It rubbed against a neighboring black bag, and dye transfer has occurred. I'm sure the high temperatures here didn't help either. It's definitely dye transfer, not scuffs on the surface. I already tried everything in th house to remove it and nothing worked. I don't want to damage it.

I'm so sad. It's a handmade Arnold Churgin from Calgary, with unusual hardware that I love.

Would you please let me know if you do finally have a breakthrough on fixing this? I would consider dying it a different color as a last resort, but I'd love to be able to keep it white.

Thank you!
Jennifer
jennifer_castro_frs@yahoo.com